The Schizophrenia Test and Early Psychosis Indicator (STEPI, Version 2011.1) for Prodromal Syndromes and Psychosis is designed as a simple screening quiz to help identify symptoms of the schizophrenia.
1. I find it difficult to separate reality from fantasy and delusion. This makes it hard to trust myself or others, because I'm not sure if I am being lied to or controlled.
2. Others plot to hurt me. I am being persecuted by a secret group, government, religion, etc. They monitor me everywhere I go.
3. I cannot control my own mind, thoughts, or actions for various reasons, including possession, mind control, or lack of willpower.
4. I have magical, psychic, or spiritual powers that others do not. They either don't believe me or want to stop me.
5. Because of jealousy or fear of my powers, others treat me unkindly and unfairly. For this reason, I do not socialize much.
6. I communicate with people, spirits, or entities beyond this world that others cannot see or hear. They gift me secret information or torment and trouble me.
7. People disbelieve my knowledge and skill of magical powers, psychic abilities, and conspiracy plots. They think I am 'crazy'.
8. My beliefs are so unique or truthful that others find them very bizarre or scary. I am the only one who knows the truth.
9. I am alone. I have nothing in common with anyone else on the planet, including my family and friends. I am special.
10. When I express myself, people become confused or think I am strange. They cannot understand me and words, or are scared to do so.
11. I procrastinate and waste lots of time. Everything is pointless and there is some impending doom lurking in the near future.
12. My short-term memory is becoming worse and worse. I can't remember simple or big things, such as where I sat my drink or a doctor's appointment.
13. I find myself lost in aimless activities that have no purpose or meaning to them. I can waste many hours doing this before I realize what has happened.
14. My emotions are not appropriate for the events that occur. For example, I cry for no reason or laugh at violence.
15. I suspect the world is not real, like a puppet show or illusion. A sinister force is responsible for this trickery. They have replaced the people I care about with robots or 'walk-ins.'
16. I spend far too much time in anxiety about existence. I can stare at my hands in wonder and fear for hours. I can't let it go, even though it troubles me.
17. It occurred to me that if I answer truthfully on this schizophrenia quiz, someone might be tracking the info and use it against me.
18. My communication skills are deteriorating. I'm losing my vocabulary, grammar, syntax, speech, and even handwriting skills. I mix words, languages, and letters together.
19. I'm extremely anxious in social situations. I'd rather avoid them. I fear being judged, making a mistake, or offending someone.
20. The color red makes me angry. The colors blue or green calm me. I can taste and hear things when I look at them. I can feel the colors.
Please be noted that this questionnaire can be used to show your doctor how your symptoms have changed from one visit to the next. Changes of five or more points are significant. This scale is not designed to make a diagnosis of Schizophrenia or take the place of a professional diagnosis. If you suspect that you suffer from the symptoms, please consult a mental health professional as soon as possible.